Packaging: Waste or valuable resource? Harnessing the value of packaging in the food system
Imagine the future of food packaging! The European Commission published its proposal for a Packaging and Packaging Waste Regulation (PPWR) in November. The ongoing policy discussions are on the measures to reach the ambitions of the Green Deal and for all packaging to be reusable or recyclable by 2030.
We must better link the EU circular economy agenda with food security and safety-related challenges. The packaging industry can support the EU’s sustainability ambitions for recyclable packaging by encouraging innovations and circular actions along the whole value chain.
How can the revised PPWD secure investments in sustainable food packaging solutions? And what role can consumers play when it comes to the implementation of the PPWD in practice?
These are some points to discuss on 6 September 2023 from 10:00 in the #EUCircularTalks Food packaging: waste or resource.
Registration is now open.
- Opening speech
- EESC member (TBC)
- Setting the scene
- Liane Girier Dufournier – UNEP Policy Officer
- Keynote speech
- European Commission (TBC)
Stakeholder perspectives – Panel discussion
- Representative of the packaging industry
- Francesco Faella – Vice President of Packaging Ambient Solutions, Tetra Pak
- Representative of the food industry
- Federica Dolce – Manager Environmental Affairs, Food Drink Europe
- Representative of the civil society
- Jean-Pierre Schweitzer – Policy officer for products and circular economy, European Environmental Bureau (TBC)
- Representative of research and academia
- Prof. Flaviano Celaschi – Osservatorio Innovazione Packaging (TBC)
Published by CVTI