Lesson 7: Life-Cycle Assessment using software
Discover the software tools used for conducting Life Cycle Assessments.
- Conducting a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) involves choosing the right software tool.
- Tool selection depends on objectives, scope, data accessibility, and the target audience.
AVAILABLE SOFTWARE TOOLS
- Features a large environmental impacts and materials database.
- Allows customization to specific needs.
- Open-source software, free to use and modifiable by users.
- Enables modeling and analysis of environmental impacts for products and processes.
- Offers a comprehensive materials and impacts database.
- Focuses on modeling material and energy flows in production processes.
- Provides various modules for different analyses, including LCA.
- An open-source LCA tool for modeling and analyzing environmental impacts.
- Includes a database of environmental impacts and materials.
- A comprehensive database with extensive data on environmental impacts and material flows.
- Often used in conjunction with other software tools.
- The choice of LCA software depends on the LCA’s objectives, scope, data accessibility, and audience.
- Specialized tools like SimaPro, OpenLCA, and GaBi offer flexibility, accuracy, and data handling capabilities.
- Open-source tools like Umberto and Brightway2 are valuable for smaller-scale LCAs or data-limited scenarios.